Self-care for parents
As a parent, you will always have something to clean or something to do. You have to take care of your child and make sure that they are safe. Days or even weeks can pass by without you taking care of yourself. Self-care is very important as a parent. You want to make sure that you are taking care of yourself so that you can take care of your child.
What is self-care?
We always hear about self-care and how we should all do it. However, what exactly is self-care? Self-care is “the ability of individuals, families and communities to promote health, prevent disease, maintain health, and to cope with illness and disability with or without the support of a healthcare provider” (WHO, 2019).
Why is self-care important?
As a parent, you dedicate most of your time to your child that you might forget to make time for yourself and your needs. If you don’t make time for yourself, you can get overwhelmed and burnout, which can lead to more serious health concerns. This can impact how you take care of your child. If you take care of yourself, you will be able to take care of your child and meet all responsibilities.
Ways to do self-care
You might wonder how you could practice self-care when there aren’t enough hours in the day for you to complete everything. Well, you can schedule a time where you can fit in self-care.
• Sleep: Making sure that you are getting enough sleep. If you can’t sleep your full hours, you could take a nap during the day.
• Well-balanced meal/exercising: Making sure that you are eating well-balanced meals at an appropriate time. Eating foods that are healthy for you can improve your health and overall mood. Also, exercising at least 30 minutes a day can help you stay healthy. If you can’t exercise, you can try to do an active activity like walking and jogging around your house.
• Practice self-compassion: Yes, being a parent is your first priority but reminding yourself that you also matter is essential. Being kind to yourself and positive can change the way you think and view things. Also, knowing that you are a good parent and doing your best is a form of self-care.
• Seeking help: If you are having a hard time with any situation, it’s okay to seek help. You can reach out to your loved ones for support. You can also reach out to professionals to help you deal with anything you might be dealing with.
• Do things you enjoy: You can do anything that makes you feel good. You can journal, meditate, and listen to music. Anything that makes you happy can be as simple as taking a bubble bath or lighting your favorite candle.
What do we mean by self-care? (2019). Retrieved from https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/self-care-interventions/definitions/en/Back To Blog